Monday, January 10, 2011

Currently baking...

My little ones are sleeping soundly, time to do a little 'prep' work ;)

In the crock pot I have this going Shredded Beef Filling   Looking forward to freezing it in lunch size portions. It definitely goes along with my theme of cooking from scratch this month. I'm also refusing to buy all that processed (easy to use) lunch meat. This will work great as bbq beef sandwiches or shredded beef burritos...The guys have been eating leftovers for lunch lately, mainly leftover ham  ~ in sandwiches or with cheese & crackers (little man's fav!) 

I have banana bread in the oven for breakfasts ~ just a basic recipe that has been my "go to" recipe for years & years.

Basic Banana bread:

1 stick butter (plus some for greasing the pan)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 very ripe bananas (mashed with fork)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Optional: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans and/or 1/2 cup grated unsweetened coconut and/or 1/2 cup chocolate chips.

Preheat oven to 350 - grease 9x5" loaf pan. Mix together dry ingredients. Cream the butter and beat in the eggs and bananas. Stir this mixture into the dry ingredients; do not mix more than necessary. Gently stir in vanilla, nuts/coconut/chocolate chips. Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 45-60mins.  Cool on rack for 15 mins before removing from pan. To store, wrap in waxed paper. (this recipe freezes wonderfully) I usually wrap in wax paper and then toss it into a ziploc freezer bag.

And last but not least I have have another loaf of  Whole Wheat Bread in the bread machine. Since the guys finished off last week's loaf tonight - they had garlic bread, with their bbq turkey meatloaf and broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment